Saturday, June 20, 2015

World refugee day, June 20

There were days when I lived as an refugee.
There were days when we got our food and supplies from Caritas.
There were days when we didn't have a place to live.

But we survived.
It's all gone and funny how it's not even a clear memory anymore, after all those years.
Just until I see other refugees all over the world. Then my heart starts to hurt again, because I still remember the feeling.

You're nowhere, you're no one.. You feel unwelcome, poor, helpless...

And you want to help, because you feel for those people.
Will my donation, blanket or old clothes really help? Will that make them feel better; from experience, only temporary but it's always nice to know that some unknown man and woman from all over the world share your pain, it's easier then.

But the true help will be when people start to treat you human. Only then you can feel equal and worthy. And there are always people who are willing to give you a hand and a temporary home. To share things with you, to comfort you when you need it.

I dedicate this blog to them.

Be the light for those who need it, refugee or not.

I.

No comments:

Post a Comment